WMLL to honor Bill Battista
You may have heard that Bill Battista retired at the end of 2017 as our Executive Director after many, many years in that role and as a board member, coach, league coordinator and good faith ambassador.
In honor of the countless hours Bill has spent helping make West Madison Little League the place we all love, we are renaming the Major Field at Forward Drive in his honor.
The dedication of Bill Battista Major Field will take place on Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 10 AM. We have built a little time into the game schedule so that we can take a moment to honor Bill and unveil the signage for the newly christened field.
We hope you can join us for the festivities and of course the concession stand will be open before, during and after the ceremony.
Highlights of Bill’s service to WMLL
- Bill began his WMLL involvement in 1995 assisting his brother Bob as an Assistant Coach and in the following years continued coaching at all levels, including tournament play.
- Bill was elected to WMLL’s Board in 1999. During his time on the Board, he served as the President, the Vice President for Baseball, the Major League Coordinator, the Board Liaison to District 4 Little League, and the chair of a number committees.
- Bill became WMLL’s first Executive Director in 2008 and served in that position for ten years, retiring in December 2017.
- Bill initiated the fall Challenger League for children with disabilities and was it’s league coordinator from 2009 thru 2014.
- Bill was awarded the inaugural Vern Ruhle Little League Volunteer of the Year Award by the Wisconsin District 4 Little League staff in 2007 and the Ruth Gordon Community Service Award by the Madison Area Service Club Council in 2014.
- Bill remains actively involved with WMLL & continues on the Board as a non-voting ex-officio board member.