The Board of Director’s primary goal during this pandemic has been and continues to be protecting the health and well-being of WMLL players, families and volunteers and acting responsibly within our local, state, national and world communities. With this in mind, the Board of Directors and staff have been busy working to maintain WMLL’s readiness to play games as soon as it is safe and responsible to do so while carefully monitoring public health advisories from local and national authorities, recommendations from Little League International, and actions being taken by area schools and youth sports leagues.
We would like to provide you with an update on what we know at this time:
Registration and Team Formation
- Registration for the springs/summer season was strong with ~600 players creating 51 teams – 4 more teams than we had in 2019.
- Player drafts have taken place and teams have been formed in all leagues except Senior League baseball (due to their later registration period).
- Every family should have heard from their player’s coach by now (except Senior League baseball). If this is not the case, please contact the appropriate league coordinator whose information is available from the link at the bottom of the page.
Season and Schedule
- The goal of the Board of Directors is to begin the season as soon as it is safe and responsible to do so and to play as many games as possible while retaining a fairly normal schedule cadence.
- A wide variety of possible alternative scenarios to the standard spring/summer season are being considered – including a possible extension of the season into August.
- As an example, if WMLL were able to begin play on June 1 and play thru mid-August, all leagues could play a full schedule, including WMLL league tournaments.
- While there are currently many unknowns, the good news is that there is still real hope for a meaningful season.
Tournament Teams and Play
- Little League International (LLI) has not yet announced a decision regarding District, State, Regional and World Series tournaments. LLI’s decision may influence the timing of WMLL baseball seasons.
- As in past years, WMLL has registered tournament teams in non-LLI affiliated area tournaments. All these tournaments are currently in a holding pattern.
Registration Fee Refunds
- While WMLL is striving to deliver a spring/summer season that is as full as reasonably possible, it is clear that a shortened season may be inevitable.
- The Board of Directors feels that a prudent decision about any potential registration fee refunds cannot be made until full details of the actual 2020 season are known – which may be as late as mid-August.
- The Board is also developing a policy to provide more immediate support to families experiencing pandemic-related financial difficulties.
Support for WMLL Sponsors
- WMLL has a fantastic group of sponsors whose generous contributions allow us to make WMLL the special place that it is – with a family-friendly ballpark, first-class playing fields and programs that make WMLL accessible to players with financial, physical and mental challenges.
- We are working with our sponsors to understand how WMLL families can best support them during these strange and difficult times. Details will be sent out soon. Until then, a list of all WMLL sponsors with links to their website can be found HERE.
West Madison Little League will continue to share news and provide updates with our families and volunteers as new information becomes available. We remain hopeful and continue to plan for a meaningful season. In the meantime, please take care and stay safe.
Click HERE for information about whom to contact with questions about the upcoming season.