Please read this update carefully & fully as it contains important information & may require prompt action.
After a long wait, it is finally time for WMLL’s 2020 summer season to get underway. WMLL will be resuming activities in a gradual, safe and responsible way that meets or exceeds the requirements of the Forward Dane plan and recommendations from the CDC, Little League International and other sources.
- As a reminder, Dane County is currently in Phase 1 of the Forward Dane plan. In Phase 1, youth sports team with up to 15 players are allowed to practice with appropriate social distancing in place. It seems likely that Phase 2 of the plan will begin on June 9. Click HERE for Public Health Madison and Dane County’s Phase 1 Sports Guidance.
As a first step, WMLL will allow teams to begin initial practices on Saturday, June 13. WMLL has developed a set of mandatory requirements that all coaches are required to comply with – including a maximum of 8 players per practice and the requirement for 10’ social distancing. Click HERE for WMLL’s mandatory requirements for initial practices & HERE for a letter to coaches.
- These requirements will be reviewed with coaches in a mandatory coaches meeting before practices begin. Any coach not committed to these measures to keep players safe will not be allowed to coach and failure to adhere to the requirements will be a serious violation of the WMLL Code of Conduct and will result in action by the WMLL Board.
Over time, WMLL hopes to expand activities in an incremental, stepwise fashion to include full team practices, structured competitions and perhaps modified games with altered rules.
WMLL will not allow any activity until it is permitted by Dane County and until WMLL has mandatory activity-specific protocols and safety measures in place that are based on the most current guidelines.
While WMLL’s focus has always been and will continue to be the health and safety of our players, families and volunteers and responsible community action, the Board understands that each WMLL family needs to do what they feel is best. Families may choose to opt-out from the summer season by “de-registering”on or before Sunday, June 7.
- To opt out, respond via the link in the email version of this update that was sent to you. If you did not receive that email, please notify Brian Beutter (email@example.com)
- Families that opt-out or “de-register” by June 7 will receive a refund of the snack prepayment fee, any volunteer opt-out fee paid, and at least a majority portion of the registration fee paid. WMLL will make a determination of the full amount of the refund no later than July 1st and will process those refunds soon thereafter.
WMLL families do not need to respond to “stay registered” and participate in what we hope will be a fun summer of baseball and softball with a season extended through August 16 (Fall Ball is scheduled to begin on August 24).
- For safety reasons, WMLL is not allowing helmets to be shared this season – all players are required to have their own helmet.
- If possible, please obtain your own helmet as WMLL has a limited supply. Dick’s Sporting Goods & Play It Again Sports Madison (both WMLL sponsors) carry helmets for $20 or less. Helmets must have a facemask in Rookie Lg BB & SB, Minor Lg BB & SB and Major Lg SB.
- If assistance is needed, WMLL will arrange to provide a loaner helmet for the summer season. If you would like to request a loaner, please complete the request HERE.
- The WMLL Board will make a decision on a possible partial refund for families that choose to participate when full details of the actual 2020 season are known – which may be as late as mid-August. In the meantime, however, the Board has developed a policy to provide more immediate support to families experiencing pandemic-related financial difficulties. Please contact Brian Beutter (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tom Heneghan (email@example.com) for more information.
Have questions? Want additional information?
All WMLL families and volunteers are invited to join in a virtual review of current plans and Q&A session to be held on Saturday, June 6 at 9 AM.
Details on how to participate in this virtual discussion will be sent out in advance of the meeting.