June 1, 2021
Throughout the pandemic, the WMLL Board of Directors has focused on providing the best baseball/softball experience possible while protecting the health and safety of our players, families, volunteers & staff and acting responsibly within our community. In doing this, the Board has based WMLL COVID rules & requirements on the current Public Health Madison & Dane County (PHMDC) order.
With the last PHMDC order (#16) having expired on June 2, the WMLL Board feels that the best way to continue to provide a safe, respectful & positive WMLL ballpark environment is by:
- accepting that various attitudes, risk tolerances & vaccination statuses exist.
- acknowledging that individuals & families should, & need to be, responsible for their own actions.
- ensuring that everyone is allowed to take, & feels comfortable taking, whatever precautions they feel most appropriate, while also being respectful of others’ preferences.
Parent(s)/guardian(s) should discuss their preferences/expectations with their children in advance & are responsible for monitoring & correcting their children’s actions & behavior at the ballpark. Coaches, volunteers, & staff have neither the right nor responsibility to direct or monitor the COVID-related actions or behavior of children outside their own families except in a few specific instances described below.
- STAY HOME IF SICK OR EXPOSED: No one may attend a WMLL event if they are experiencing COVID symptoms, have tested positive for COVID, or have had a COVID “close contact” until they have been cleared by a medical professional or have completed a quarantine per PHMDC requirements.
- MASKS: Masks are not required in any indoor or outdoor locations at WMLL (including the concession stand). Individuals who would like to wear a mask are encouraged to do so – especially when not vaccinated & physical distancing is not possible.
- PHYSICAL DISTANCING: Physical distancing is no longer required in any indoor or outdoor locations at WMLL. Individuals who would like to maintain physical distancing are encouraged to do so – especially when not vaccinated.
- TEAM SEATING: Players & coaches have two options for game seating when not on the playing field.
- Dugout: They may choose to sit in the dugout. Dugouts will not have capacity limits, nor physical distancing or mask requirements. Individuals who would like to wear a mask in the dugout are encouraged to do so.
- Expanded Dugout Area: They may choose to sit in the delineated area adjacent to the dugout. Individuals who want to maintain physical distancing are encouraged to select this option. Player drop spot numbers will be left in place as a spacing reference for these individuals. Individuals who would like to wear a mask in the expanded dugout area are encouraged to do so. Note: some coaches may continue to use drop spots for player gear storage to reduce dugout congestion.
- UMPIRE POSITIONING: The plate umpire will be positioned behind the pitcher to ensure individual physical distancing preferences by umpires & catchers are respected.
- SEED & GUM BAN IN DUGOUT & ON FIELDS: Sunflower seeds & gum are prohibited at all times on the playing fields & in the expanded dugout / player drop spots.
- CATCHER’S GEAR: Players may use WMLL-provided or their own catcher’s gear. Any coach or player that wishes to sanitize a catcher’s helmet/mask before use are encouraged to do so. WMLL will continue to supply Microban 24 Sanitizing Spray in the equipment/mailroom for this purpose.
- CELEBRATIONS & HANDSHAKES: Players & coaches may elect to exchange high fives, fist bumps, elbow bumps and all other celebrations with other willing individuals. Individuals that prefer not to participate in these exchanges should feel free not to participate. To ensure that individual preferences are respected, post-game handshakes will continue to be not allowed. After games, teams will continue to line up outside their dugout and tip their caps or wave to the opposing team as a sign of good sportsmanship.
THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF THE WMLL COMMUNITY!