At WMLL, interested baseball & softball players in all leagues have the opportunity to help another team that is short on players as a substitute player. This happens when the coach of a team short on players for a game seeks replacement players for that game per the WMLL rules listed below.
If you would like your child to be included on a list of players to be considered when substitute players are needed, please submit their name & key information by clicking on the players assigned league below.
BASEBALL: Rookie, Minor, Major, Junior 13
SOFTBALL: Rookie SB, Minor SB, Major SB, Jr / Sr SB
Coaches needing a substitute player will use these lists to contact interested players to provide game details & see if the interested player is available to help out.
BASEBALL: Except in the Rookie League, “call up” players must be players from the league below the level of the team short on players. In the Rookie League “call up” players come from other Rookie League teams.
- “Call up” players may not pitch and must bat last in the batting order, but otherwise are treated the same as other players on the team.
- Coaches will not play “call ups” at positions they do not feel comfortable playing.
- Being called up provides a player with the opportunity to experience play & test their skills at the next level.
SOFTBALL: WMLL softball allows two options for substitute players – “call ups” & “replacements”.
- “Call-Ups”: Whenever possible substitute players should be players from the league below the level of the team short on players. Being called up provides a player with the opportunity to experience play & test their skills at the next level. Coaches will not play “call ups” at positions they do not feel comfortable playing.
- Replacements: In the Rookie League substitute players come from other Rookie League teams. In all other softball leagues, if “call up” players cannot be found from the league below, replacement players from other teams in the same league may be used – this is not preferred, but is a much better option than a forfeited game.
- Pitching: If a team is in dire need of pitching, a replacement player may pitch with the approval of the league coordinator or VP-softball.
Please contact the league coordinator for your player’s league with any questions.