Coaches, parents, players, and all spectators should adhere to a high level of sportsmanship. The league will not tolerate negative interactions between or among coaches, spectators & players; harassment of umpires; verbal or physical altercations involving coaches, players, or spectators; hazing or organized chanting or “cheering” directed at opposing teams or players. Instances of unsportsmanlike behavior reported to the Board of Directors will be investigated by the President and may result in discipline, including suspensions.
Treatment of Umpires
Coaches, players, and spectators must accept and respect umpire decisions. They should refrain from questioning “judgment” calls and must avoid actions which tend to undermine umpire authority.
- Warning: The umpires will not tolerate any abusive language, equipment throwing or other violent or unsportsmanlike behavior by coaches, players or fans. Any person guilty of participating in these actions will be warned once by the umpires.
- Ejection: A second violation will result in ejection from the game and removal from the WMLL field areas. In severe instances, the offending party will be immediately ejected. Note: The umpire will report such ejections to the umpire coordinator who will notify the Baseball or Softball Operations Committee Chairperson.
- Suspension: Unsportsman like behavior which results in a game ejection carries with it another one game suspension. For a second game ejection there will be an automatic three game suspension and for a third game suspension, the individual will receive a season ending suspension.
WMLL believes in “safety first” & is an active participant in Little League, Inc.’s “A Safety Awareness Program”. Players, coaches, spectators & umpires are expected to be careful, to use good judgment & to adhere to the following safety rules.
- Player drop offs: Please do not pull into WMLL’s main parking lot for drop-offs or pick-ups as there are many players & children in the area – instead use the designated “drop off” zone on Forward Drive just to the north of the main parking lot entrance
- Note: Any cars that park in WMLL’s parking lot without a WMLL coach’s pass or handicap sticker or plate will be ticketed.
- Peanut ban: For the safety of players & spectators with peanut allergies, WMLL does not allow peanuts at the ballpark
- Facility cleanliness & safety: Help keep WMLL’s fields, grounds & facilities neat, clean & safe. Clean up after yourself & report any safety or hygiene concerns to the concession stand.
- Safe warm up: Players should warm-up away from crowds & traffic patterns & must not swing bats outside playing field fences, unless they are in a batting cage or soft-toss station
- Errant balls: Be on the lookout for foul & thrown balls at all times
- Safe play: Remind your children to be careful on the playground equipment & to refrain from playing on or underneath bleachers
- Severe weather: When threatening weather approaches, seek appropriate shelter (do not move under trees)
- Note: When lighting is visible, game will be suspended for 30 minutes and all coaches, players, spectators and umpires are expected to take immediate shelter in the dugouts, near the concession stand, picnic porch or in private vehicles to insure their safety. If the delay continues to a total of 45 minutes, that game will be postponed & rescheduled per current rules.