Working as a WMLL umpire is a great way to make money while experiencing the game in a new way, having fun & helping WMLL! If you’re interested in this exciting opportunity, please read the information below and in the WMLL Umpire Manual, then apply via the link at the bottom of the page.
To be eligible to umpire at WMLL, you must meet the following criteria:
- you must be 12 years-old or older as of August 30, 2020 to umpire spring/summer games & as of August 30, 2021 to umpire fall games
- you must have successfully completed the umpire training required by WMLL (see below)
WMLL requires all new umpires to attend training before they are allowed to take a game.
- Spring/summer season – mandatory training for new & second-year umpires: All new & second-year umpires must attend two mandatory WMLL-approved training sessions.
- Sunday, March 1: Mandatory training for new & 2nd-year umpires (Part 1) from 4:15 to 5:15 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- Sunday, March 8: Mandatory training for new & 2nd-year umpires (Part 2) from 4:15 to 5:15 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- New & second-year umpires are also encouraged to attend the District 4 umpire training session on Sunday, March 22 from 3:45 to 5:45 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- Spring/summer season – training for experienced umpires: It is highly recommended that experienced umpires attend the District 4 umpire training session on Sunday, March 22 from 3:45 to 5:45 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- Fall ball – mandatory training for new umpires: As an introductory opportunity to umpiring, WMLL allows individuals that are 12 years-old or older (as of April 30, 2021) with no previous umpiring experience & that have not previously attended a WMLL-approved umpire training clinic to work Fall Ball games if they attend a single 70-minute training session on Tuesday, August 18 from 6:30-7:40 PM at the WMLL ballpark on Forward Drive.
- The session will start in the WMLL picnic porch (near the concession stand) with a brief instructional session before heading out onto one of the fields.
- After the fieldwork, the group will return to the picnic porch around 7:30 PM to discus ArbiterSports.com, WMLL’s online umpire scheduling system.
- Parents are welcome to attend all or part of the training and are encouraged to listen in on the ArbiterSports.com presentation.
- Note: new umpires must follow-up this introductory session with WMLL’s regular spring/summer season umpire clinics if they want to umpire during the 2021 spring/summer season.
The pay rates for the 2019 fall & 2020 spring/summer seasons are as follows (see the WMLL umpire manual for additional details):
- In the spring/summer season, an umpire working alone receives 1.5x the regular rate and is required to be the home plate umpire.
- NOTE: If a parent serves as an umpire, the parent should work the bases (assuming there is one paid umpire who can do the plate.) The parent does not receive pay & the plate ump does not receive 1.5x the regular rate.
- An umpire whose game is cancelled at the field before it begins (e.g., sudden rain, forfeit) gets half the regular rate if they were at the field and ready to work the assigned game when it was canceled.
- An umpire who starts a game which is suspended for any reason receives full pay.
- An umpire who later completes a suspended game receives full pay.
Game Selection & Attendance
Umpires select their own games to work via WMLL’s online Arbiter scheduling system (within established limits). Umpires should arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled game time and must have on all equipment and be ready to start the game at the scheduled time. If an umpire fails to show up for a scheduled game, they have 48 hours to provide a credible reason. Failure to do so will result in a restriction on that umpire’s ability to sign up to umpire games in the future.
Uniform & Equipment
Umpires must dress appropriately and look professional – including wearing an official WMLL Umpire shirt (available at the concession stand for $5) & closed toe shoes. Male umpires must also wear a protective cup when working behind the plate. All other protective equipment (mask, chest protectors, and shin guards) will be provided for use at games by WMLL. Umpires must bring their own ball/strike counter (available at the concessions stand for $2), watch, and pencil or pen to every game & must pick up a game card in the concession stand before heading to their field.
Understanding Rules & Safety Plan
Umpires must be familiar with all the rules that apply to any league in which they are umpiring and should review the appropriate league rules before each game and have a copy with them at each game. They should also be familiar with WMLL’s safety plan.
- WMLL Rules of Emphasis – 2020 update under construction!
- WMLL Local Rules – Spring/Summer Season & Fall Ball
- Umpiring Basics
- Safety Plan
Anyone meeting the eligibility requirements, may apply to be an umpire (click HERE), but not everyone will automatically be selected. Umpire commitment and availability will be key factors in the selection process
Questions / Additional Information
- If you have questions or want additional information, please contact Tom Heneghan, WMLL’s umpire training & oversight coordinator at 256-9233 or firstname.lastname@example.org.