Working as a WMLL umpire is a great way to make money, while experiencing the game in a new way, having fun & helping WMLL! If you’re interested in this exciting opportunity, please read the information below and in the WMLL Umpire Manual, then apply via the link at the bottom of the page.
To be eligible to umpire at WMLL, you must meet the following criteria:
1) you must be 12 years-old (as of August 30, 2019) or older
2) you must have successfully completed the umpire training required by WMLL (see below)
- Spring/summer season – mandatory training for new & second-year umpires: All new & second-year umpires must attend two mandatory WMLL-approved training sessions.
- Feb 24 (Sun): Mandatory training for new & 2nd-year umpires (Part 1) from 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- Mar 10 (Sun): Mandatory training for new & 2nd-year umpires (Part 2) from 4:00 PM to 5:30 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- New & second-year umpires are also encouraged to attend the District 4 umpire training session on Sunday, March 17 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- Spring/summer season – training for experienced umpires: It is highly recommended that experienced umpires attend the District 4 umpire training session on Sunday, March 17 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at the Edgewood High School lower gym
- Fall ball – mandatory training for new umpires: All brand new umpires (umpiring for the first time during Fall Ball) that have not attended a previous WMLL-approved umpire training clinic, must attend WMLL’s 90-minute new umpire training clinic.
- Around the 3rd week of August at the Forward Drive fields & will begin on the picnic porch before moving onto the fields (weather permitting).
The new pay rates for 2019 are as follows (see the WMLL umpire manual for additional details):
Game Selection & Attendance
Umpires select their own games to work via WMLL’s online Arbiter scheduling system (within established limits). Umpires should arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled game time and must have on all equipment and be ready to start the game at the scheduled time. Continued reduction of umpire “no shows” will again be a major focus. If an umpire fails to show up for a scheduled game, they have 48 hours to provide a credible reason. Failure to do so will result in a restriction on that umpire’s ability to sign up to umpire games in the future.
Uniform & Equipment
Umpires must dress appropriately and look professional – including wearing an official WMLL Umpire t-shirt (available at the concession stand for $5). Male umpires must wear a protective cup. All other protective equipment (mask, chest protectors, and shin guards) will be provided for use at games by WMLL. Umpires must bring their own ball/strike counter (available at the concessions stand for $2), watch, and pencil or pen to every game & must pick up a game card in the concession stand before heading to their field.
Understanding Rules & Safety Plan
Umpires must be familiar with all the rules that apply to any league in which they are umpiring and should review the appropriate league rules before each game and have a copy with them at each game. They should also be familiar with WMLL’s safety plan.
- WMLL Rules of Emphasis
- WMLL Local Rules – Spring/Summer Season & Fall Ball
- Umpiring Basics
- Safety Plan
Anyone meeting the eligibility requirements, may apply to be an umpire (click HERE), but not everyone will automatically be selected. Umpire commitment and availability will be key factors in the selection process
Questions / Additional Information
- If you have questions or want additional information, please contact Tom Heneghan, WMLL’s umpire training & oversight coordinator at 256-9233 or firstname.lastname@example.org.