If a team expects to be short of players for a game, the head coach should obtain replacement players to add to the roster for that game according to the following rules (unless the team is short on players due to a scheduled school event, in which case the head coach should contact the league coordinator so that the game can be rescheduled.)
BASEBALL: Except in the Rookie League, “call up” players must be players from the league below the level of the team short on players. In the Rookie League “call up” players come from other Rookie League teams.
- “Call up” players may not pitch and must bat last in the batting order, but otherwise are treated the same as other players on the team.
- Coaches must not play “call ups” at positions they do not feel comfortable playing.
- If unanticipated roster player(s) show up bringing the total of regular roster players to ten or more, the “call up” player(s) should still play, but may play defensively the league minimum number of innings.
SOFTBALL: WMLL softball allows two options for substitute players – “call ups” & “replacements”.
- “Call-Ups”: Whenever possible substitute players should be players from the league below the level of the team short on players. Being called up provides a player with the opportunity to experience play & test their skills at the next level. Coaches will not play “call ups” at positions they do not feel comfortable playing.
- Replacements: In the Rookie League substitute players come from other Rookie League teams. In all other softball leagues, if “call up” players cannot be found from the league below, replacement players from other teams in the same league may be used – this is not preferred, but is a much better option than a forfeited game.
- Pitching: If a team is in dire need of pitching, a replacement player may pitch with the approval of the league coordinator or VP-softball.
- Unanticipated Attendance by Team Players: If unanticipated roster player(s) show up bringing the total of regular roster players to ten or more, the substitute player(s) should still play, but may play defensively the league minimum number of innings.
The following links provide a list of players (with contact information) who have expressed an interest in helping as “call up” / replacement players. Coaches needing a substitute player should use these lists to contact interested players to provide game details & see if the interested player is available to help out.