GENERAL UMPIRING INFORMATION —
Baseball and Softball umpiring opportunities are available for current and former baseball players 13 or older by April 30 each year and for current and former softball players age 13 or older by December 31 of the previous year. In addition, players that have aged out of the WMLL program and siblings of current and former players are eligible to be umpires. Fall ball umpiring opportunities may be available for 12 year olds who will become eligible the following year (check in August for more info on Fall Ball umpiring). If you are interested in being an umpire in 2018, please fill out an umpire application now (click on link below).
Players new to umpiring at WMLL in 2018, as well as 2nd year umps, must also attend WMLL-approved mandatory umpire training during the winter — two Sunday afternoons in February, Feb 11 (at Edgewood HS) and Feb 18 (site to be determined) from 4-6pm. Experienced umpires are asked to attend the District-wide Little League umpire training session, set for Sunday, March 11, at Edgewood High School from 3-6 pm. New and second year umps are also encouraged to attend this District session and should review the plans for next season below.
2018 Spring-Summer Umpiring
Here are a few of the key elements of the program:
- You must apply to be an umpire and not everyone will automatically be selected.
- Umpire commitment and availability will be key factors in the selection process
- Continued reduction of umpire “no shows” will again be a major focus, although attendance was excellent in 2015 & 2016.
- Umpires will continue to select their own games to work via the online Arbiter scheduling system (within established limits)
- Training for new umpires will be the same as last year: There will be two mandatory training sessions for all new umpires, as well as second year umpires. Plans are for two Sunday afternoon sessions on February 11 & 18 (4-6 PM), plus the District-wide Little League umpire session on March 11, 3-6 PM.
- All training will be held at Edgewood High School, except Feb 18 (site to be determined).
2018 Fall Ball Umpiring
Like we did last year, WMLL will run a clinic for new umpires who will first umpire during 2018 Fall Ball. This is a one-shot 90-minute clinic that will be held at the Forward Drive fields. Please fill out an Umpire Application if interested or contact Tom Heneghan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This training session will be TENTATIVELY held in mid-August (date TBD)
If you are new to umpiring and have not attended any of the previous umpire training clinics that we have held in the winter, you must attend this clinic if you want to umpire this fall.
At the clinic, we will cover basic umpire calls and techniques and explain Arbiter, our online umpire game selection system. Games are self-assigned through this system, so you will have the responsibility to find games for which you are eligible and pick them for yourself.
We will convene on the picnic porch at the fields at Forward Drive and will move out onto one of the fields, weather permitting.
If you cannot make it to this fall training, you will not be permitted to umpire for Fall Ball.
- WMLL Umpire Manual [PDF] —– includes pay rates and pay policies
- Basic Instructions for Using the ArbiterSports Umpire Scheduling System [PDF]
- 8 Basic “BE’s” – Your Basic Obligations
- The Basic 8 – Your Basic Calls
- Review the specific League’s pages for details on rules
- Tom Heneghan, Umpire Training and Scheduling Coordinator – email@example.com
- Tom Heneghan, General Umpire Information – firstname.lastname@example.org