Working as a WMLL umpire is a great way to make money while experiencing the game in a new way, having fun & helping WMLL! If you’re interested in this exciting opportunity, please read the information below and in the WMLL Umpire Manual, then apply via the link at the bottom of the page.
To be eligible to umpire at WMLL, you must meet the following criteria:
- you must be 12 years-old or older as of August 30, 2021 to umpire spring/summer games & as of August 30, 2022 to umpire fall games
- you must have successfully completed the umpire training required by WMLL (see below)
- you do not need to be a current of former WMLL player to be an umpire
WMLL requires all new umpires to attend training before they are allowed to take a game.
- Mandatory training for new & experienced umpires: WMLL is offering three training sessions. All training will be conducted in a safe manner in accordance with PHMDC requirements. All umpires, regardless of experience, must attend one of these training sessions. Umpires who have not attended clinics in past years must attend two sessions to be eligible to umpire.
– Session 1: Mar 28 (Sun) from 4:30 – 6:00 PM in Edgewood High School’s Krantz Center gym
– Session 2 – New Date : Apr 11 (Sun) from 3:00 – 4:30 PM at the WMLL ballpark
– Session 3 – New Date: Apr 18 (Sun) from 3:00 – 4:30 PM at the WMLL ballpark
- The sessions on Apr 6 & 13 have been cancelled & replaced with the Apr 11 & 18 dates.
- Experienced umpires – no additional training is required
- New umpires (no previous WMLL umpiring experience & have not attended a WMLL umpire training clinic): MANDATORY training on Tuesday, August 17 from 6:30-7:40 PM at the WMLL ballpark. This session is the ONLY training that will be offered for Fall Ball. New umpires must attend ton August 17 if they want to umpire Fall Ball games
- The session will start in the WMLL picnic porch (near the concession stand) with a brief instructional session before heading out onto one of the playing fields.
- After the field work, the group will return to the picnic porch around 7:30 PM to discus ArbiterSports.com, WMLL’s online umpire scheduling system.
- Parents are welcome to attend all or part of the training and are encouraged to listen in on the ArbiterSports.com presentation.
- Note: new umpires must follow-up this introductory session with WMLL’s regular spring/summer season umpire clinics if they want to umpire during the 2022 spring/summer season.
The pay rates for the 2021 spring/summer & fall seasons are as follows (see the WMLL umpire manual for additional details):
- In the spring/summer season, an umpire working alone receives 1.5x the regular rate and is required to be the home plate umpire.
- NOTE: If a parent serves as an umpire, the parent should work the bases (assuming there is one paid umpire who can do the plate.) The parent does not receive pay & the plate ump does not receive 1.5x the regular rate.
- An umpire whose game is cancelled at the field before it begins (e.g., sudden rain, forfeit) gets half the regular rate if they were at the field and ready to work the assigned game when it was canceled.
- An umpire who starts a game which is suspended for any reason receives full pay.
- An umpire who later completes a suspended game receives full pay.
Game Selection & Attendance
Umpires select their own games to work via WMLL’s online Arbiter scheduling system (within established limits). Umpires should arrive at least 15 minutes before the scheduled game time and must have on all equipment and be ready to start the game at the scheduled time. If an umpire fails to show up for a scheduled game, they have 48 hours to provide a credible reason. Failure to do so will result in a restriction on that umpire’s ability to sign up to umpire games in the future.
Uniform & Equipment
Umpires must dress appropriately and look professional – including wearing an official WMLL Umpire shirt (available at the concession stand for $5) & closed toe shoes. Male umpires must also wear a protective cup when working behind the plate. All other protective equipment (mask, chest protectors, and shin guards) will be provided for use at games by WMLL. Umpires must bring their own ball/strike counter (available at the concessions stand for $2), watch, and pencil or pen to every game & must pick up a game card in the concession stand before heading to their field.
Understanding Rules & Safety Plan
Umpires must be familiar with all the rules that apply to any league in which they are umpiring and should review the appropriate league rules before each game and have a copy with them at each game. They should also be familiar with WMLL’s safety plan.
- WMLL Rules of Emphasis – 2021 update under construction!
- WMLL Local Rules – Spring/Summer Season & Fall Ball
- Umpiring Basics
- Safety Plan
Anyone meeting the eligibility requirements, may apply to be an umpire (click HERE), but not everyone will automatically be selected. Umpire commitment and availability will be key factors in the selection process
Questions / Additional Information
- If you have questions or want additional information, please contact Tom Heneghan, WMLL’s umpire training & oversight coordinator at 256-9233 or email@example.com.