In a typical WMLL spring/summer season, approximately 600 players compete on about 50 teams in around 375 regular season and 40 league tournament games played on WMLL’s three diamonds.
COACHES & TEAM COORDINATOR
All WMLL coaches are volunteers who have submitted an application and undergone a background check. Before each season, WMLL seeks out and selects a head coach for each team based on experience & other qualifications. Once chosen, each head coach may select one “official” assistant coach, subject to Board of Directors approval. After league drafts, the head coach may select additional assistant coaches as well as a team coordinator from among the parents of the team’s players. The team coordinator works closely with the head coach & performs a variety of tasks designed to ensure good communication within the team and the smooth running of off field team business.
Note: WMLL also requires all Board members, paid staff (executive director, concessions workers & grounds crew), paid umpires that are 18 years-old or older & anyone else deemed necessary by the Board of Directors to submit a volunteer application and undergo a background check.
A team’s practice schedule and the location of their practices are determined by that team’s coaching staff. Practices usually begin in April as weather permits and are typically held more frequently prior to the start of games.
- Preseason Practices at WMLL: All teams will be given the opportunity for a limited number of scheduled preseason practices at WMLL. The WMLL fields will open for practice on Tuesday, April 4 & will close for Opening Day preparations on Thursday, April 20 & Friday, April 21 2023.
REGULAR SEASON GAMES
WMLL’s spring/summer regular season consists of 16-18 games in the Minor, Major & Junior baseball leagues and approximately 14 games in all other baseball & softball leagues. Each league’s actual game schedule will be released with team rosters following the player draft & will be made available via SportsEngine & the WMLL website. Click HERE for maps & more information about the WMLL ballpark.
ROOKIE, MINOR & MAJOR BASEBALL & SOFTBALL
- Opening Weekends: Minor & Major baseball teams begin games on Apr 22-23, Rookie, Minor & Major softball teams start on May 6-7 and Rookie baseball teams open on May 13-14.
- Weekday Games: Teams in these leagues typically play one weeknight game every week – excluding rain cancellations and makeup games. Each team will play games on all weeknights over the course of their season.
- Weekend Games: WMLL utilizes alternate weekend scheduling for these leagues in the spring/summer season. In alternate weekend scheduling, leagues alternate between “ON” and “OFF” weekends. During a league’s “ON” weekends, teams in that league typically play games on both Saturday and Sunday. During a league’s “OFF” weekends, teams do not play any games. “OFF” weekends are used to give WMLL players & families open weekends for other activities – including playing in tournaments with WMTT Thunder or other travel teams.
- Rookie BB “ON” Weekends = May 13-14, May 27-28, Jun 10-11, Jun 24-25, Jul 8-9
- Minor BB “ON” Weekends = Apr 22-23, May 6-7, May 20-21, Jun 3-4, Jun 10-11, Jun 24-25, + Special ON = Memorial Day Monday (May 29)
- Major BB “ON” Weekends = Apr 22-23, Apr 29-30, May 13-14, May 20 (Helfaer Games), May 27-28, Jun 17-18, Jun 24-25
- Rookie SB “ON” Weekends = May 6-7, May 13-14, May 27-28, Jun 10-11, Jul 8-9, July 15-16
- Minor SB “ON” Weekends = May 6-7, May 20-21, Jun 3-4, Jun 17-18, Jul 15-16
- Major SB “ON” Weekends = May 6-7, May 20-21, Jun 3-4, Jun 17-18, Jul 15-16
Junior League Opening Weekend is on Apr 22 & 23. After Opening Weekend, all other regular season games will be scheduled for weekdays – typically with two games every week. Weekends & Memorial Day may, however, be used as a last resort for rainout makeup games if needed.
Senior League Opening Day is on Tuesday May 30. After that, teams will typically play two weeknight games and/or one late Sunday game every week. Weekends may, however, be used as a last resort for rainout makeup games if needed.
JUNIOR & SENIOR SOFTBALL
Optional “preseason scramble” games will played on May 6-7 & May 13-14 with Opening Weekend on May 20-21. After that, teams will typically play one weeknight game & one late Sunday (4 pm or later) game every week.
At the end of the regular season, all leagues conclude with league playoffs. Most playoffs are conducted using a single-elimination bracket-play format with seeding based on regular season standings.
Rookie League Baseball = July 11-14 and 17
Minor League Baseball = June 23-28
Major League Baseball = June 22-28
Junior League Baseball = Jul 11, 13, 18
Senior League Baseball = July 10
Rookie League Softball = July 15–16
Minor League Softball = July 15–16
Major League Softball = July 15–16
Junior/Senior League Softball = July 16–17
“ALL-STAR” TOURNAMENT TEAMS
With the formation of West Madison Travel Teams, WMLL “all-star” teams have changed. WMLL will form & field “all-star” baseball teams at the LL age 10, 11, 12, Junior & Senior levels to prepare for & compete in the official Little League (District / State / Regional / World Series) tournament series. These “all-star” teams will no longer play in any other tournaments.
The WMLL Board may, however, elect to field a traditional “all star” baseball or softball tournament team for at any age level for which either a WMTT team does not exist at that age level or there is sufficient non-WMTT player & coach interest to do so. Click HERE for more information about Tournament Teams including key dates.
QUESTIONS / ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
If you have questions about anything related to practices, regular season games, schedules or league tournaments, please contact the appropriate league coordinator.
- Rookie BB (LL ages 7 & 8): Robb Vogel – email@example.com
- Minor BB (LL ages 9 & 10): Scott Eckel – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Major BB (LL ages 11 & 12): Harry Miller – email@example.com
- Junior BB (LL age 13 & 14): Andrew Hahn – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior BB (LL ages 15 & 16): Tom Heneghan – Tom.Heneghan@huschblackwell.com
- Rookie SB (LL ages 7 & 8): Nate Judnic – email@example.com
- Minor SB (LL ages 9 & 10): Ben Stuart – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Major SB (LL ages 11 & 12): Nadeem Afghan – email@example.com
- Junior / Senior SB (LL ages 13 – 16): Brian Beutter – firstname.lastname@example.org