In a typical WMLL spring/summer season, approximately 600 players compete on about 50 teams in around 375 regular season and 40 league tournament games played on WMLL’s three diamonds.
COACHES & TEAM COORDINATOR
All WMLL coaches are volunteers who have submitted an application and undergone a background check. Before each season, WMLL seeks out and selects a head coach for each team based on experience & other qualifications. Once chosen, each head coach may select one “official” assistant coach, subject to Board of Directors approval. After league drafts, the head coach may select additional assistant coaches as well as a team coordinator from among the parents of the team’s players. The team coordinator works closely with the head coach & performs a variety of tasks designed to ensure good communication within the team and the smooth running of off field team business.
Note: WMLL also requires all Board members, paid staff (executive director, concessions workers & grounds crew), paid umpires that are 18 years-old or older & anyone else deemed necessary by the Board of Directors to submit a volunteer application and undergo a background check.
A team’s practice schedule and the location of their practices are determined by that team’s coaching staff. Practices usually begin in April as weather permits and are typically held more frequently prior to the start of games.
- Preseason Practices at WMLL: All teams will be given the opportunity for a limited number of scheduled preseason practices at WMLL. The WMLL fields will open for practice on Monday, April 4 & will close for Opening Day preparations on Thursday, April 21 & Friday, April 22.
REGULAR SEASON GAMES
WMLL’s spring/summer regular season consists of 16-18 games in the Minor, Major & Junior baseball leagues and approximately 14 games in all other baseball & softball leagues. Each league’s actual game schedule will be released with team rosters following the player draft & will be made available via Teamsnap & the WMLL website. Except for Junior & Senior softball, all games are played at the WMLL ballpark. The only possible exception is in cases of extreme number of rainouts, where games may be played at alternative fields in an effort to get them all in. Click HERE for maps & more information about the WMLL ballpark.
ROOKIE, MINOR & MAJOR BASEBALL & SOFTBALL
- Opening Weekends: Minor & Major baseball teams begin games on Apr 23-24, Rookie, Minor & Major softball teams start on May 7-8 and Rookie baseball teams open on May 14-15.
- Weekday Games: Teams in these leagues typically play one weeknight game every week – excluding rain cancellations and makeup games. Each team will play games on all weeknights over the course of their season.
- Weekend Games: WMLL utilizes alternate weekend scheduling for these leagues in the spring/summer season. In alternate weekend scheduling, leagues alternate between “ON” and “OFF” weekends. During a league’s “ON” weekends, teams in that league typically play games on both Saturday and Sunday. During a league’s “OFF” weekends, teams do not play any games. “OFF” weekends are used to give WMLL players & families open weekends for other activities – including playing in tournaments with WMTT or other travel teams.
- Rookie BB “ON” Weekends = May 14-15, May 28-29, Jun 11-12, Jun 25-26, Jul 9-10
- Minor BB “ON” Weekends = Apr 23-24, May 7-8, May 21-22, Jun 4-5, Jun 18-19, Jul 2-3 + Special ON = Memorial Day Monday (May 30) & Jun 25-26
- Major BB “ON” Weekends = Apr 30-May 1, May 14-15, May 28-29, Jun 11-12, Jun 25-26 + Special ON = Apr 23-24 & Jun 18
- Rookie SB “ON” Weekends = May 14-15, May 28-29, Jun 11-12, Jul 9-10 + Special ON = May 7-8, Jun 4 or 5, & Jul 16-17 + Special Off = Jun 25-26
- Minor SB “ON” Weekends = May 7-8, May 21-22, Jun 4-5, Jun 18-19, Jul 16-17 + Special Off = Jul 2-3
- Major SB “ON” Weekends = May 7-8, May 21-22, Jun 4-5, Jun 18-19, Jul 16-17 + Special Off = Jul 2-3
Junior League Opening Weekend is on Apr 23 & 24. After Opening Weekend, all other regular season games will be scheduled for weekdays – typically with two games every week. Weekends & Memorial Day may, however, be used as a last resort for rainout makeup games if needed.
Senior League Opening Day is on May 31. After that, teams will typically play two weeknight games and/or one late Sunday game every week. Weekends may, however, be used as a last resort for rainout makeup games if needed.
JUNIOR & SENIOR SOFTBALL
Optional “preseason scramble” games will played on May 7-8 & May 14-15 with Opening Weekend on May 21-22. After that, teams will typically play one weeknight game & one late Sunday (4 pm or later) game every week – with no games on Special OFF weekends (June 25-26, July 2-3 & July 9-10). A special day of games will also be scheduled on Memorial Day (May 30).
At the end of the regular season, all leagues conclude play with a league playoffs. Most playoffs are conducted using a single-elimination bracket-play format with seeding based on regular season standings.
Rookie League Baseball = July 7-15
Minor League Baseball = June 22-30
Major League Baseball = June 22-30
Junior League Baseball = Jun 27 – Jul 8
Senior League Baseball = July 11-15
Rookie League Softball = July 14–21
Minor League Softball = July 14–21
Major League Softball = July 14–21
Junior/Senior League Softball = July 14–21
“ALL-STAR” TOURNAMENT TEAMS
With the formation of West Madison Travel Teams, WMLL “all-star” teams have changed. WMLL will form & field “all-star” baseball teams at the LL age 10, 11, 12, Junior & Senior levels to prepare for & compete in the official Little League (District / State / Regional / World Series) tournament series. These “all-star” teams will no longer play in any other tournaments.
The WMLL Board may, however, elect to field a traditional “all star” baseball or softball tournament team for at any age level for which either a WMTT team does not exist at that age level or there is sufficient non-WMTT player & coach interest to do so. Click HERE for more information about Tournament Teams including key dates.
QUESTIONS / ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
If you have questions about anything related to practices, regular season games, schedules or league tournaments, please contact the appropriate league coordinator.
- Rookie BB (LL ages 7 & 8): Robb Vogel – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minor BB (LL ages 9 & 10): Mark Schauder – email@example.com
- Major BB (LL ages 11 & 12): Harry Miller – firstname.lastname@example.org & Mark Newburg – email@example.com
- Junior BB (LL age 13 & 14): Andrew Hahn – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior BB (LL ages 15 & 16): Tom Heneghan – Tom.Heneghan@huschblackwell.com & Joan Farrell – email@example.com
- Rookie SB (LL ages 7 & 8): Nate Judnic – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minor SB (LL ages 9 & 10): Scott Fossum – email@example.com
- Major SB (LL ages 11 & 12): Mark Wochos – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Junior / Senior SB (LL ages 13 – 16): Nadeem Afghan – email@example.com