WMLL places a very high priority on forming balanced teams to create fair, competitive leagues. To do this, WMLL utilizes a Skills Session and No-Cut Player Draft to establish team rosters.
MANDATORY SKILLS SESSION FOR ROOKIE, MINOR & MAJOR LEAGUE PLAYERS
March 20 (Sun) = Skills Session for Minor & Major Baseball + Rookie, Minor & Major Softball at the Memorial Fieldhouse from 11:30 PM to 4:30 PM Note: Schedule is based on Little League Age (LL Age). Click HERE for a summary table of league assignments by birthdates & LL ages.
April 9 (Sat) = Skills Session for Rookie Baseball at WMLL from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM Note: Schedule is based on Little League Age (LL Age). Click HERE for a summary table of league assignments by birthdates & LL ages.
The mandatory skills session is the critical first step in the process of assembling balanced teams.
At the skills session, after checking-in and receiving a pin-on number, all players in a Little League age (LL Age) group will be put in an ordered, socially distanced line. Players will then rotate through individual fielding/throwing, hitting, and pitching drill stations while the coaches in that league make evaluations for use during the no-cut player draft. After completing these drills, players are free to go.
- IMPORTANT NOTES!
- WMLL realizes that, unfortunately, the March 20 Skills Session falls during the Spring Break of some private schools (there were no better weekend options for reserving the entire JMM fieldhouse in March)
- If a player is unable to attend, coach evaluations from previous seasons and/or parent evaluations provided during registration will be used to assess the player’s skill.
- If your child is unable to attend, it is your responsibility to notify the appropriate league coordinator in advance (see below for contact information).
- Players must bring a glove, batting helmet & water bottle and wear appropriate clothing & shoes. Players may also bring a bat and/or batting gloves if they would like. It is strongly recommended that players label their glove, water bottle, bat & helmet with their name to prevent mishaps.
- Any players that is playing WMLL spring/summer ball for the first time must also bring a copy of their official birth certificate for age verification.
- Everyone attending the skills session (players, volunteers, family members, etc.) must wear a mask as required by Public Health Madison Dane County Order & the WMLL COVID Policy – unless an individual or activity meets exemption or exception criteria outlined in the order.
Please arrive on time for the session scheduled for your child’s LL age group and check in at the designated table.
“NO CUT” LEAGUE DRAFTS
League drafts take place soon after the skills session and are used to create fair, competitive leagues by distributing more and less skilled players evenly across teams. All players registered by Sunday, March 7 (April 25 for Sr BB & SB) are guaranteed a roster spot during the draft – no one is cut. Click HERE for league draft guidelines.
Mar 21 (Mon): Junior League baseball draft at Vitense Golfland from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Mar 22 (Tue): Major League baseball draft at Vitense Golfland from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Mar 22 (Tue): Major League softball draft at Madison Police Department – West District Station (1710 McKenna Blvd) from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Mar 23 (Wed): Minor League baseball draft at Vitense Golfland from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Mar 24 (Thu): Rookie League softball draft at Vitense Golfland from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM
Apr 5 (Tue): Minor League softball draft at Vitense Golfland from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Apr 13 (Wed): Rookie League baseball draft at Vitense Golfland from 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Apr 27 (Wed): Junior/Senior League softball coach meeting & draft at Vitense Golfland from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
May 4 (Wed): Senior League baseball coach meeting & draft at Vitense Golfland from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
NOTICE OF TEAM ASSIGNMENT
Very soon after the draft, players are notified of the team assignment via TeamSnap. Soon after this, coaches email the families of the players on their team to introduce themselves & provide information on team meetings, practices, etc.
QUESTIONS / ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
If you have questions about anything related to the skills session, league draft, player notifications or the upcoming season, please contact the appropriate league coordinator.
- Rookie BB (LL ages 7 & 8): Robb Vogel – email@example.com
- Minor BB (LL ages 9 & 10): Mark Schauder – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Major BB (LL ages 11 & 12): Harry Miller – email@example.com & Mark Newburg – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Junior BB (LL age 13 & 14): Andrew Hahn – email@example.com
- Senior BB (LL ages 15 & 16): Tom Heneghan – Tom.Heneghan@huschblackwell.com & Joan Farrell – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rookie SB (LL ages 7 & 8): Nate Judnic – email@example.com
- Minor SB (LL ages 9 & 10): Scott Fossum – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Major SB (LL ages 11 & 12): Mark Wochos – email@example.com
- Junior / Senior SB (LL ages 13 – 16): Nadeem Afghan – firstname.lastname@example.org