Register for the Spring/Summer season by February 4 to receive a $25 discount!
Click Here for Registration Packets & other information for parents.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PLAY GIRLS’ SOFTBALL?
To be eligible to play at WMLL, a player must satisfy the following provisions:
- Age: Be 7-18 years old (as of December 31, 2017 for the 2018 season)
- Residency / School: Live or attend school in the Madison West, Madison Memorial or Middleton-Cross Plains high school attendance areas
- Possible Exception to Residency / School Requirement: If you live & attend school outside WMLL boundaries AND are in an area with no official Little League program, contact WMLL to review your possible eligibility.
- Under National Little League rules, players can participate in only one Little League program at a time.
WHAT IS THE LEAGUE STRUCTURE?
Players are drafted into leagues based on their age & skill as follows:
- Minor League Softball: 7, 8 & 9-year-old girls who want to develop fundamental offensive & defensive skills and an understanding of softball strategy while experiencing different positions.
- Major League Softball: 10, 11 & 12-year-old girls who want to expand & further develop their skills during more competitive play.
- Junior League Softball: 13 & 14-year-old girls who want to advance their skills in order to play high school softball.
- Senior League Softball: 15 & 16-year-old girls, most of who will have played on or will play on a high school team. (This league will only be offered if there are enough registrations to form a team.)
Based on registration numbers & skill levels, some players may be drafted up to the next older league.
WHERE, WHEN & HOW OFTEN ARE THE GAMES PLAYED?
Minor & Major League Games
- The season runs from opening day on April 21 & 22 until late July.
- Teams typically have two games a week.
- Games are played on the WMLL fields at Forward Drive & the Jefferson Middle School softball diamonds (if schedules include interleague play, some games may be played on other area Little League diamonds)
Junior & Senior League Games
- The season begins at a later date (usually after the high school season has ended)
- Teams typically play a double-header once per week.
- Junior League games are played on the WMLL fields at Forward Drive & the Jefferson Middle School softball diamonds (if schedules include interleague play, some games may be played on other area Little League diamonds)
- Senior League games are played on the Jefferson Middle School softball diamonds & other area Little League fields
HOW ARE PLAYERS ASSIGNED TO TEAMS?
- In order to create well-balanced, competitive teams, WMLL utilizes a player draft to establish teams. Everyone registered by February 28 will be drafted – no one is “cut”.
- Soon after the draft, coaches will contact the players on their team to introduce themselves & provide information on team meetings & practices.
- SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR SIBLINGS & FRIENDS
- Siblings: Siblings in the same league will be placed on the same team unless their parents’ request that they be placed on different teams.
- Friends: A pair of friends can request that they be placed on the same team at the Rookie (if offered) & Minor league levels only. For this to happen, the two halves of the pair must identify one another as their one “buddy” on their individual registration applications.
SKILLS SESSION: WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE & WHY?
- The skills session is designed to promote parity among our teams by giving coaches an opportunity to see players prior to the league drafts.
- ALL REGISTERED SOFTBALL PLAYERS AGES 7-12 MUST ATTEND THE SKILLS SESSION. They should bring their gloves & wear gym shoes (cleats & hard-soled shoes are not allowed). Players may bring a bat & batting gloves if they wish.
- Players new to WMLL must also bring a copy of their official birth certificate for age verification.
- At the skills session, players rotate through three drill stations: fielding & throwing, hitting, and pitching. After completing these drills, players are free to go.
- THE 2018 SKILLS SESSION IS ON SATURDAY, MARCH 17 & WILL BE HELD INDOORS AT THE MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL FIELD HOUSE (201 South Gammon Road).
o 7-8 year olds: check in at 3:45 pm, drills begin around 4:00 pm
o 9-10 year olds: check in at 4:05pm, drills begin around 4:20 pm
o 11-12 year olds: check in at 4:30 pm, drills begin around 4:45 pm
WHAT DOES IT COST TO PLAY?
- The fee is $210 per player & must be paid online at time of registration.
- A $25 DISCOUNT IS AVAILABLE FOR EARLY REGISTRATION BY FEBRUARY 4.
- After two players in the same family pay the full cost, each additional player from that family receives a $50 discount.
- Scholarships are available for players eligible for free or reduced lunch at their school. Scholarships have a minimum player fee of $50.
- Parents may submit scholarship requests at the end of the online registration process. WMLL reserves the right to verify eligibility with a player’s school.
HOW & WHEN DO YOU REGISTER?
- Everyone who plans to play at WMLL in 2018 must register using WMLL’s Online Registration system which can be accessed via the WMLL website registration page.
- Registration for the 2018 Spring/Summer Softball season begins on January 1.
- IN ORDER TO BE GUARANTEED A ROSTER SPOT ON A TEAM, REGISTRATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED BY THE FEBRUARY 28.
- Late registrants (after February 28) will be placed on a team if space is available. If leagues are full, they will be placed on a waiting list in the order their registrations were received & charged a $5 non-refundable processing fee.
- Registration fees (excluding some scholarship requests) must be paid at the end of the online registration process via credit card, debit card or e-check.
- Refunds, less a $10 processing fee, will be granted if requested prior to March 19. No refunds will be granted after this draft except for injuries or families moving away from the area.
DOES WMLL SOFTBALL FIELD ANY TOURNAMENT TEAMS?
- Every year WMLL Softball fields tournament teams in Minor (10U), Major (12U), and Junior (14U) Divisions for play in at least two post-season tournaments.
- Click Here for a link to the 2018 WMLL Softball Tournament Team Policies